When relocating to the province, you will find that there are certain rules and regulations about the right to English language instruction in Quebec. If one does not meet the requirements set out in the Charter of the French Language by the Quebec government, and does not qualify for english language instruction in Quebec, your child will need to attend a French public school, or a private school.
There are 2 categories in which children are able to receive english language instruction in Quebec schools.
1) A certificate of eligibility for instruction in english, given to those permanent residents who qualify. In this case, this generally means it is awarded in 3 categories, to children who:
- Have done most of their schooling (elementary and secondary) in English in Canada, and the mother or father is a citizen of Canada.
- Whose siblings have done most of their schooling (elementary and secondary) in English in Canada, and the mother or father is a Canadian citizen
- Whose parents did most of their schooling (elementary and secondary) in English in Canada, and the mother or father is a Canadian citizen, unless the mother or father studied in Quebec
2) People who are only living in the province for a defined period, and can qualify to receive English language instruction in Quebec, temporarily. This is divided into 3 categories:
- The dependent of a person who is in Quebec to work or study on a temporary basis
- The dependent of a Canadian citizen/permanent resident of Canada who is temporarily living in Quebec to work or study
- The dependent of a Canadian Armed Forces person, posted in Quebec on a temporary basis
Note: The amount of time that the provisional right to English language instruction is awarded, corresponds to the time in which the immigration document, which was issued to work or study to the parent(s) of the child is valid. Expiration is the 30th of June (end of the school year) when the persons temporary stay is ended. The temporary authorization may be renewed, as long as the criteria from the original application remains the same.
For more information on eligibility visit Education, Loisir et sport Quebec – Eligibility
If you need to obtain a certificate of eligibility or temporary eligibility for a child, allowing English language instruction in Quebec, visit Education, Loisir et Sport – Application Process.
For more information about living and studying in Quebec, check out these helpful articles and links:
Photo credit: Wikipedia