Whether you’re new to the city, or you’ve spent your whole life here, these are 10 things about Calgary that you’re sure to find interesting.
1. According to Forbes. com, Calgary is the cleanest city in the world. This could be partly attributed to the city’s $300 fine for spitting in public.
2. The Calgary Stampede, a ten-day event held in July, bills itself as the “Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth”. The event includes the world’s largest rodeo and numerous other competitions and exhibitions.
3. Although many refer to it as Cowtown, Calgary is a city of tremendous cultural diversity, where you can overhear more than 120 different languages being spoken.
4. Canada’s sunniest big city, Calgary enjoys an average of 2,300 hours of sunlight per year.
5. It’s also a windy city, with an average of 36 days per year with recorded winds of over 52 km/h.
6. Calgary consistently ranks around #3 on the Mercer Quality of Living Survey of the most livable cities in the world, and #1 based on environmental factors such as air and water quality, pollution and traffic.
7. Calgary has more millionaires per capita than any Canadian city.
8. The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, on the outskirts of Calgary, has recorded sightings of more than 260 bird species.
9. Fishermen from around the world flock to Calgary’s Bow River hoping to hook a two-foot trout. The average fish caught in the Lower Bower River measures about 20 inches.
10. Before its discovery by the British Empire, the area that is now Calgary was a part of the Blackfoot Confederacy, which extended across modern-day Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The Calgary region was inhabited by Blackfoot, Blood, Peigan and the Tsuu T’ina First Nations.
If you are moving to Calgary and want to know everything there is to know about the city, then you’ll want to check out ARIANNE’s Online Relocation Guide for Calgary. Loaded with practical, helpful, hyper-local information, our exclusive guides are both exhaustive and user-friendly. With 20+ years of industry experience, ARIANNE Relocation Specialists make relocation easy.
To learn more, check out these popular articles:
- Where to live when moving to Canada
- Neighbourhoods of Calgary
- Gastronomy of Calgary
- Best public parks in Calgary
Photo Credit: Wikipedia