You are a citizen of a German speaking country and may be soon transferring to Canada or you’ve already arrived here with your family. Your children are at the school-going age, and you are concerned about their education, preserving their mother tongue, and preparing them for the possibility of continuing their school and educational career later in Europe. Will you be able to find German schools in Canada?
The answer is yes. Throughout Canada, there are German schools offering language courses and different types of German education. One helpful resource might be The Canadian Association of German Language Schools, which offers a great overview of German language schools. The main focus of these schools is to teach the German language: vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation. In addition to these, there are a few schools teaching about German history, geography and culture. Their website also lists numerous associations where teachers, students and families can find information, camaraderie and support.
The Canadian School System
As a bilingual nation, education is Canada is typically available in French and English. Schooling in Quebec is primarily offered in French, in accordance with the 1977 Charter of the French Language (Bill 101), however it is always possible for Anglophones to claim an exception and receive their education mostly in English. In the rest of Canada, where English is the primary language, schooling will mostly be in English, while Francophones will have the option of enrolling in private French schools.
Although less common — as German is not one of the official language of the country — those families and students who prefer to be educated in German will find a few German schools to chose from, especially for the kindergartners and younger elementary school children. Most German schools in Canada only offer language classes, as a supplement to full-time schooling; but a couple of them offer a complete education in German.
A list of German Schools in Canada by Province
- German Language School Society of Edmonton: Founded in 1959 by a group of German mothers, this school offers complete German education from preschool through grade 12, as well as classes for adults. Students can even earn a German diploma (Abitur).
- Calgary German Language School Society: A non-profit organization offering German language courses for students in pre-school to grade 12, and evening classes for adults, from beginner to advanced levels.
- Surrey German School: Offering weekend language classes for students in pre-school to grade 12, as well as adult. The courses aim to teach a mastery of the German language and an appreciation for German culture.
- Vancouver Westside German School: Offering K-12 after-school German language courses.
- German School North Shore: German language classes are offered on a weekly basis for students K-12.
- Victoria German School: A recognized heritage language school offering a variety of German languages course for all ages, assisting with Germany university requirements, and hosting a number of cultural events throughout the year.
- Comox Valley German Language School: Founded in 2015 to provide German language education primarily for children in the Comox Valley area, with classes on a weekly basis.
- MGLE Inc. (Manitobans for German Language Education): Saturday classes providing German language classes to students of all ages and abilities in Winnipeg.
- English-German Bilingual – Princess Margaret School: A bilingual program for students K-5; teaching classes in Health, Social Studies, and German Language Arts in German; while Science, Math, Physical Education, and English Language Arts are studied in English. The students receive Music instruction in both languages, and Art in either of the two.
- South Winnipeg Kinderschule: A small German nursery school program in Winnipeg, offering a child-focussed and developmentally appropriate emergent curriculum with an emphasis on the arts and music.
- Donwood Elementary School: A dual track elementary school providing a rich education in either English or German Bilingual programming.
- German Language School Concordia: The largest Saturday German school in Canada, offering language classes for all ages, and the opportunity to earn a German language diploma.
- German Language School Germania Hamilton: Canada’s oldest German language school, providing classes for students of all ages.
- German Language School Halton: Offering Saturday classes in German to students of all ages, throughout the regular school year.
- German Language School London: Teaching Saturday German classes to students of all ages, with more than 60 years of experience.
- German Language School Ottawa Inc.: Running Saturday classes for students K-12.
- Friedrich Schiller Schule: Learn German for PASCH certified teachers, for pre-school to adult, every Saturday morning in Mississauga.
- Deutsche Sprachschulen (Metro Toronto) Inc.: One of the largest language schools in Canada, with three locations in Toronto (Richmond Hill, Scarborough, and Toronto Central West), offering German Language Diplomas following several years of course study.
- The German International School of Toronto: Provides a complete trilingual education (in English, French and German) with a mixed curriculum based on the German and Canadian educational programs for preschool through grade 8.
- Deutsche Sprachschulen Quebec: An association of the following four language schools Quebec. Each is a member of the PASCH network and geared towards awarding German Language Diplomas. Learning is done within a well structured plan designed by specialists according to the norms established by the Common European Framework of Reference for languages.
- German Language School Montreal Central
- German Language School Baie-D’Urfé
- Deutsche Sprachschule Südufer
- DSQ – École allemande de Québec (Quebec City School)
- Alexander von Humboldt Schule: Located in Montreal, this is one of the few schools in Canada currently offering the full German educational program for students in pre-school through grade 12. The program emphasizes diversity, and students end up receiving a trilingual education (in German, English and French).
- German Language School Saskatoon : Providing after-school and evening classes for all ages, with the option of earning the German Language Diploma.
- Das Schulhaus: The Regina German Language School Inc. offers Saturday classes for school children and evening course for adults.
- German Heritage Language School: Providing afternoon and evening German Language classes for children and adults in Halifax.
ARIANNE Relocation Specialists have been helping international families and professionals get settled in Canada for more than 20 years. Contact us to find out how we can help you make a smooth and successful transition to your new country. Willkommen in Kanada!