Metro Transit runs the public transportation in Halifax and is the largest transport agency in Atlantic Canada. They offer ferry, bus, and Access-A-Bus services. Public transportation in Halifax can take you where you need to go and relieves the stress of traffic and parking at your destination!
Exact change required for all fares paid in cash
Adult: 16 and over, Senior: 65+, Child: 5 to 15, Student: Full Time (with valid photo student ID)
Bus, Ferry, Access-A-Bus, Community Transit:
◦ Adult & Student: $2.25, Senior & Child: $1.50 – 10 ticket packs are also available
◦ MetroPass (adult $70, senior & child $52, student $64)
MetroLink: Adult & Student: $2.75, Senior & Child: $2.00, Adults monthly pass $85 – with UPass, MetroPass, ticket or transfer, +$0.50.
MetroX: Adult & Student: $3.25, Senior & Child: $2.50, Adults monthly pass $100 – with MetroPass, ticket, Transfer, UPass +$1. With a MetroLink transfer or pass +$0.50
UPass: available to students, and valid during the academic year from September – April. Cost is $70
Bus transportation in Halifax:
315 busses on 56 routes
3 Community Transit Routes:
◦ Offers suburban and rural access to Metro Transits regular and express busses
◦ Porters Lake: Portland Hills (Dartmouth), East Preston, Lake Echo, Porters Lake, Grand Desert, via Portland street, Collection
◦ Beaver Bank: Service on weekdays – Sackville Terminal and Beaver Bank Villa (Beaver Bank)
◦ Sambro: service on weekdays – South Centre Mall (Spryfiels) and Ketch Harbour fire Hall (Ketch Harbour) – same busses as MetroX
3 Express Routes (MetroLink):
◦ Direct, limited-stop, fully accessible express route
◦ Connects: Scotia Square terminal (downtown Halifax) and Portland Hills Terminal(Cole Harbour) on the side of Dartmouth, and Sackville Terminal (Lower Sackville)
2 Rural Express Routes (MetroX):
◦ fully accessible, limited stop express routes
◦ Route: downtown from Duke/Albemarle street to Bridge Terminal, continues to Fall River, through Aerotech Park to Airport (reverse route for return).
Access-A-Bus transportation in Halifax:
Door-to-door, shared-ride service available to handicapped and elderly patrons, requiring extra assistance.
Rides available upon request 48 hours in advance.
The bus operates Monday – Sunday, including public holidays: 6:00am. to 1:00am.
For bookings call: 902.490.6999
Harbour Ferry transportation in Halifax:
12 minute crossing time
2 routes available
◦ downtown Halifax to Alderney Landing (Dartmouth)
◦ downtown Halifax to Woodside
Can carry up to 395 passengers per trip
Transfers to and from bus system are accepted and accepted for 90 minutes after time of purchase.
No Matter where you are heading, hop on the public transportation in Halifax, and just enjoy the ride!
Photo Credit: Hfx chris at en.wikipedia