//, Immigration/Visas and immigration in Canada

Visas and immigration in Canada

NOTE: Please refer to our updated articles on Canadian Immigration Programs and Fives Steps to Canadian Immigration and Relocation.

Each year, Canada welcomes about 260,000 people. We are a welcoming and attractive country. (Take a look at these incredible Immigration Statistics!)

People come here for various reasons, either they want to visit study or work in Canada. When I decided to move to Montreal, I was not exactly sure what I needed to do to get a visa from Canada. I looked through internet but all I could find were old articles or dubious blogs.

I decided to write an article introducing the different visas offered to move to Canada.

We can name three different categories of visas in Canada: Temporary visa (visitor visa); student visa; work visa.

Please note that these data are general and that there are exceptions to work in Canada and special visas for some countries (Commonwealth, Belgium, France, etc.) For additional information, you should also read our more detailed blog about Steps Toward Canadian Immigration.

Temporary visa:

There are two different temporary visas: single-entry visa / multiple-entry visa.

The single-entry visa allows entering Canada once. A stamp will be placed in the passport and your temporary resident status will expire after six months, from the day of your arrival in Canada. It costs $75.

The multiple-entry visa allows you to enter Canada several times during the period of validity of your visa (maximum being five years). It costs $150

The cost of any of the two visas for a family is $400.

Student visa:

The process to study in Canada is simple. You have to apply to a Canadian education institute certified by immigration authority. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/schools.asp

Once you have been admitted, you have to make an application to the Canada immigration office. It costs $125.

Work visa:

In some cases you won’t need a permit, but generally the process to work in Canada is as follows: As a lot of people try and work in Canada, the process to get a visa is a bit more complicated than the one for other visas. You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer who will sponsor you.

The employer must then apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) for job validation. Once this is done, you need to make an application to a Canada immigration office. Visit the Canadian Immigration website to begin the application process.

Photo Credit: Unsplash

2019-02-11T13:38:45+00:00By |Canada, Immigration|0 Comments

About the Author:

Living in Montreal since 2005 after France and the United States, I want to share with you how much I love Canada and my advice to successfully immigrate to Canada!

Leave A Comment