International driving permit

Published the Monday 9 November 2015 by at 13:29 in Administrative, Canada, Locations, Topics, Transport, Travel, | No comment .

Once you are well settle in your new home in Canada you may want to discover a little bit the country but also the whole american continent. With your Quebec driving license you can drive in almost every other country but some ask for an international driving permit.

You don’t have to take any class or pass any exam to have the international driving permit. It is just an equivalent to your driver license, a document proving your identity and attesting your driving skills. To be valid, you must always have your original driver license with your international permit. In fact, it is an official translation of your driving permit.

Driving Cars in a Traffic Jam

It is not really hard to get but you have to know how to do it because it can not be delivered by the SAAQ. Another institution called the CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) is in charge of delivering this permits. You can ask your permit by mail or in person at one of the CAA centers (travel center or vehicle registration center). If you do it by mail, you will have to download a form on the CAA website, fill it, and send it with the required documents and you will have to pay 27$ for the permit and the transport. If you do it in person you have to bring with you the required documents and 25$. For more information about the process, click here.

The international driving permit is a very useful document if you need to travel somewhere where your Quebec’s driver license is not recognized.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • viadeo FR