Do taxes yourself

Once a year, you have to fill in an income tax return for the government. It is an obligation as a worker in Canada, whatever your status is. At each payroll that you receive, the government automatically deducts taxes and when you send your tax return, a certain amount of these taxes will be returned to you. Most people use a society of accountant to help them, but it is possible to do it yourself.

In fact, fulfilling a tax return is not really complicated but it is long and tedious. Before starting, you will have to make sure that you have in your possession every document that can be asked for and information like your social number with you. It is really important to keep your medical bills, metro tickets, proof of any charitable donations, and every payroll statement throughout the year.

When all the papers are ready you need to download a program that will help you doing your tax return. There are four main programs:

Filing Taxes - 1040 Form

Photo credit:

Each of these programs allows you to determinate the refundable tax credit that you can have, depending on your situation, by asking you some questions. Then you will have to fill the form in with all your information.

For the most part, you will have to pay for these programs but it is still a cheaper alternative than paying for an accountant. However, if your statement is really simple or if it is your first statement, it can be free with certain programs.

If you follow all the instructions and have all the necessary documents to hand, it will be easy to return your statement and get your credit!

About the Author:

I founded ARIANNE Relocation Canada in 1997 in order to assist families relocating to Montreal, and then all over Canada. I have a lot of advice and stories to share about how to successfully move and relocate to Canada! If I can be of help please contact me at

Leave A Comment