Finding public transportation in Ottawa – Canada’s capital city – will not be a problem if you are new to the city, in fact it is very easy to get from one place to another! OC Transpo is the public transportation system in the city, and is convenient to get to, and simple to use, with the bus system, as well as the light rail O-Train, and Taxis. The public transportation in Ottawa is also fully accessible to those with mobility aids, strollers and wheelchairs.
To view OC Transpo maps click here.
* The fare is currently $4.65 for express routes, $3.30 for regular routes if you are paying cash – there are student, child and senior discounts available. Children under 5 ride free!
* Presto Cards are also available, and reduce the fair amount by about $0.50. They can be used as a loaded monthly pass, or cash balance for single rides basis.
* The O-Train runs for 8 kilometres, from Greenboro Station (south), to Bayview Transitway Station (west of downtown Ottawa).
* The cost is currently $2.85, and tickets are available at the entrance of each station and can be exchanged for bus transfers.
* There is seating for 135 people, and standing room for an additional 150 people.
(There is also a light-rail project currently in progress in Ottawa, projected to be fully functional some time in 2019 – http://www.ottawalightrail.ca/en/).
Other Public Transportation in Ottawa:
If you want to take a day trip to see the city from land or water, bus tours are available, as well as riverboats and cruises. Ottawa is also a great city to walk and bike around if you feel like some exercise.
Lady Dive: offers many tours in Ottawa including splash tours (land/water bus), hop-on, hop-off tours which allow you to get off at sights, and get back on the bus when you are done as many times as you like throughout the day, and bilingual tours of the city.
Paul’s Boat Cruises: see Ottawa’s history and sights from a different perspective – from the river!
Allow the public transportation in Ottawa to take you where you need to go!
Photo Credit: wikipedia.org