Living in Calgary, Alberta, means surrounding yourself with natural beauty, between the Canadian Prairies, and the foothills of the Canadian Rockies. The population of the metropolitan area of Calgary is around 1.4 million people, making it the fourth largest in Canada. Living in Calgary, you will find not only beautiful scenery, with gorgeous lakes and parkland to explore, but also a downtown area that is brimming with culture, history, and entertainment for you and your family.
Neighbourhoods in Calgary:
Downtown Calgary is divided into five neighbourhoods
* Eau Claire
* Downtown West End
* Downtown Commercial Core – this area includes the retail core, entertainment district, arts district, and government district
* Downtown East Village
Aside from these main parts of the downtown area, there is also the inner-city communities, and the surrounding and established neighbourhoods – there are then the suburban areas. Within the cities limits, there are over 180 neighbourhoods that you can choose to live in.
Forrest Lawn is one of the most diverse neighbourhoods when it comes to living in Calgary, with International Avenue (or 17 Ave. SE), there are numerous restaurants and stores of different ethnicities.
Attractions and Entertainment:
* The Devonian Gardens – an indoor garden that is amongst the largest in the world.
* Bow River is a great fly-fishing spot in the summer time. You and your family can also float a boat or raft down the river.
* Canada Olympic Park – a mountain biking trail in the summer, and in the winter, sports from cross-country skiing to luge, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
Calgary has been titled by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network as a “global city”
* Oil and gas (Petroleum), and agriculture are main industries in Calgary
* It is one of Canada’s top cities in economic expansion
* Unemployment is low, personal income and GDP are high.
* The economy is constantly diversifying, and many companies are moving their head offices to the city.
Living in Calgary is sure to be an incredible experience for you and your family.
Photo Credit: wikipedia.org (Aurora beyond Calgary’s downtown skyline)